Over the Hill and Into the Hoods

Niki’s been doing quite a few overnight trips for his job recently. He generally enjoys it and as most of the other staff have families and would rather not go away he can usually pick an overnight trip most weeks, and they pay him overtime which is perfect. Last week he went all the way up to Scotland doing deliveries in Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh. He left 5am Tuesday morning and got back 5pm Thursday – his 28th birthday! He was pretty tired after three 12 hour days of driving so that night we just stayed in and had a nice home cooked dinner, including a yummy carrot birthday cake (from the shop!).

As Niki was away for two nights it gave me a brilliant reason to go to a show with Toni and I found £10 tickets for “Into the Hoods”. This is a hip hop show, so quite different to anything else on the West End. It was a story about 2 children and them getting lost in the “hood”, and then meeting all the people who lived in the “ruff” estate. The dancing was mind-blowing and there were lots of laugh out loud moments so I really enjoyed it. My only negative was that there was no singing or talking by the dancers – everything was pre-recorded. Thinking about it now, it didn’t really take away from the performance as the dancing was so incredible – I guess I just assumed it would be a musical like the other shows. My gasp aloud move was when they'd run up the wall and flip, like in the movies! Also there was an adorable blonde girl who must've been 6 or 7 who was only on the stage for a couple of mins twice, but I'm sure she was the audience favourite. She wore a gold jumpsuit, and was the fairy godmother with some crazy breakdancing moves.

We are going to “The Lion King” with some friends next week - 24 June, and I have booked two tickets for “We Will Rock You” (based on Queen’s music) for 4 August. There’s a buy 1 get 1 free deal on at the moment so we have front row seats (!!!), will be a nice change from the cheap seats way at the back that I usually buy. I’ve heard rave reviews from those residing at 69 in H-town and it’s the only show Niki has been at all interested in seeing… I’m super duper excited! Cultured daaarlings aren’t we!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay, we will rock you! I went when I was there in Dec and it rocked! Pretty loud though, like being in a rock concert, and at times we couldn't hear the one of the female leads (the evil queen lady) because of distortion from her voice, with loud speakers, coupled with where we were sitting (but they were the cheap seats).

Have fun! btw, the guy in that is a)a very very good singer, and b) pretty hot, so front row seats will be awesome.