Long Weekend Bliss


Wednesday night we made the trip up to Niki’s Dad’s place. He lives just out of Rawene which is in the upper North Island near Opononi and Kaikohe. About a 5 hour drive from Hamilton. Glenn lives in a house bus and has some land where he’s growing every fruit & vege you can imagine! We picked raspberries for breakfast and courgette, capsicum, pumpkin, tomatoes etc for lunch/dinners. We basically just laxed out, read books & pottered around. The weather was awesome which was a bonus! We did a beach walk and they put out the net and caught a kawhai which they then smoked. YUM! It’s pretty awesome up there but I’m a city girl so can only handle it for a couple of days!


At 12 on Saturday we left to make the long trip to Tauranga. A stop for lunch, a visit to Niki’s Aunty in Auckland and a road closure just out of Paeroa made the trip a slow one. We finally arrived just before 8pm. I met up with Kirsty for a good catch-up over a few drinks while Niki stayed home to lax out after all that driving (cos his damn girlfriend can’t drive!)

Sunday we went to the Morton Estate Winery @ Katikati to celebrate my grandparents’ 50th wedding anniversary. All the family was there which doesn’t happen often. It was really lovely to see everyone and have a few pics and it was so awesome for my grandparents, they are so fantastic.



That afternoon we headed to Jared & Shelley’s house (Niki’s brother & sister-in-law) to catch up with them. Later I met Justine & parents for her b-day @ “The Quarry” (fancy new “tavern” in Te Puna). Kate Conaghan and her parents also came. It was awesome to see the girls cos I don’t get to see them often since they live far away now.

Monday I headed into town to do a spot of shopping while Niki played golf with his mates (he was really really bad apparently). I texted a few girlfriends to see if anyone was free for lunch or something and then next thing I was heading to Rotorua with Tina & Jade to Paradise Valley to pat the 5 wk old lion cubs. SOOO CUTE!! Fantastic afternoon

So all and all a very busy but super fun Easter weekend … I had my fair share of marshmallow eggs & a choc bunny too

No comments: