When in Rome

We spent 3 nights in Rome. Probably my favourite out of the larger Italian cities we've been to. Stayed in a large hostel with single sex dorms again, it wasn't too bad although I didn't sleep very well but I think that was because it was way too hot more than anything else. Tuesday we saw the Colosseum and the Palatine ruins which took us nearly all day, very impressive. Wednesday we went to Capuchin Monks Graveyard which is crazy! It's a passage way with about 5 'rooms' which are graves but the walls & ceilings are 'decorated' with human bones! hundreds and hundreds of them. It was the weirdest thing I have ever seen, but also very impressive and definiteley memorable. We weren't allowed to take pics but brought a postcard so maybe I'll be able to scan that in cos you just can't imagine what it looks like.
We went to the Vatican City in the afternoon as we'd heard the line is horrendously long first thing and came across a line which took us 20mins to get through, not bad we thought...until a bit later we realised we weren't where we thought we were (does this sound vaguely familar?) We were in the Basilica and tombs of Popes, still impressive but we had wanted to go to the Vatican museum and Sistene Chapel. it closed at 3.30m...it was 4pm when we realised! Bugger. I wasn't too gutted though cos I'm not catholic or anything and had heard mixed reviews on it. I guess there's just a certain stigma on seeing the super famous sites wherever you go... but I reckon if it's not your thing, why bother.
Thursday morning we decided to check how long the line to the Vatican museum was...the line was massive, went right around the block. needless to say we gave it a miss.

No comments: